The course material will be articles and other current and authentic texts. Additional reading to brush up and to get aqcuinted to the Health care sector: Mustonen, A.,Sippola, H. & Tuononen, N. Hoidetaan suomeksi. Sanoma Pro. 2012 edition: https://laurea.finna.fi/Record/laurus.77137 2014 edition: https://laurea.finna.fi/Record/laurus.84945 Kela, M., Korpela, E.& Lehtinen, P. 2010. Sairaan hyvää suomea. Edita. https://laurea.finna.fi/Record/laurus.72279 Kuparinen, K.& Tapaninen, T. 2008. Hyvin menee! 2. Suomea aikuisille. Otava. https://laurea.finna.fi/Record/laurus.65726 Kuparinen, K.& Tapaninen, T. 2016. Oma suomi 2. Suomea aikuisille. Helsinki: Otava. https://laurea.finna.fi/Record/laurus.89197 Kotisuomessa. A website including both general and vocational materials. https://www.kotisuomessa.fi/web/guest;jsessionid=0C94C0AC92D49A1CE70005C18F7F77D6
- self-assessment and reflection of future needs of language skills
- exploration of short current texts and other sources of information
- short presentations and discussions on current issues of the professional field
- oral exercises
- writing short texts
- participation in lessons is mandatory
The course assessment consists of three parts:
1. A test consisting of reading comprehension and vocabulary tasks. The test will be evaluated on a scale 1-5.
2. A presentation of Media topic prepared in groups. The presentation will be evaluated: Accepted - Not accepted - Completed. Well-prepared and informative presentation may upgrade the course grade.
3. A presentation of Nursing Cases and Cases of Social services. The presentation will be evaluated: Accepted - Not accepted - Completed. Well-prepared and informative presentation may upgrade the course grade.
Note that participation in lessons is mandatory.
01.08.2022 - 31.12.2022
23.05.2022 - 29.05.2022
20 - 40
Laurea Tikkurila, sote
Having completed the study unit the student is able to
-communicate both orally and literally in frequent situations on professional field (level B1.1)
-further develop skills and understanding of communication culture in Finland
-seek information and vocabulary of Social Services and Health Care using Finnish sources
After completing the course the student is able to
- understand instructions given in Finnish both in studies and in a professional environment
- ask for clarification and further information, if needed
- understand the core vocabulary concerning the professionals,client groups and current issues in Social services or Health care
- explore, find and understand the main points and important details of professional texts, such as news and articles in non-scientific publications
- write a summary in Finnish
The course starts at level B1.1 (CEFR, Finnish application). For further information please see: https://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/fi/resources/european-language-levels-cefr (available in several languages)
Laurea täydentävä osaaminen, amk-tutkinto (TOY2), Yhteiset opinnot
The work load for the student is as follows:
- contact lessons and related homework 54 h (2 cr)
- information retrieval and composition of the group presentation 81 h (3 cr)
On working days during daytime. Further information in Pakki and Tuudo.