Research and Development Methods (5 cr)
22.05.2023 - 28.05.2023
01.08.2023 - 31.12.2023
Number of ECTS credits allocated
Mode of delivery
20 % Contact teaching, 80 % Distance learning
Laurea Leppävaara, service
20 - 35
- Degree Programme in Safety, Security and Risk Management (HRA), Laurea Leppävaara
- Kaci Bourdache
- Eveliina Hytönen
Teacher in charge
- Avoin AMK 1 (Size: 5. Open UAS: 5.)
HRA222SADegree Programme in Safety, Security and Risk Management, blended learning, S22, Leppävaara
- Avoin AMK 1
The student is able to
- critically assess research-based knowledge
- select appropriate research and development methods for their research or development work and justify their choices
- collect empirical data and analyse it
- interpret the results of research and development work and draw conclusions based on them
- assess the ethics and reliability of research and development work
- communicate in situations required for research and development work and to produce a research text
Teaching consists of some contact teaching on campus and in Zoom but mostly has virtual studies.
There are compulsory assignments and every student is responsible for his/her studies.
Learning materials and recommended literature
Will be listed in Canvas. All required and recommended reading will be available for free online.
Alternative completion methods of implementation
Recognition of studies
Demonstration of Competence
01.09.2023 9-11.30: first session. Presence (or notification of absence of that day) required for accepting place in the study unit.
Forms of internationality
Study is suitable for exchange students.
Total number of hours based on CR given is 135; this means approximately 10 hours of work every week, contact sessions etc. included
Further information for students
One of the main purposes of this study unit is to help students to start planning their own thesis. It is possible to use this study unit to prepare the actual plan for your thesis.
It is strongly recommended to have a commission for your thesis (by any company or organization, your own employer, for example).
However, you may complete the study unit even though you do not have the topic yet in mind, and proceed with your thesis later using what you have learned.
Evaluation methods and criteria
Evaluation is based on Laurea Assessment criteria:
REQUIREMENT LEVEL II
Evaluation is based on assignments of the study unit.
- R&D plan (individual or pair) forms 50% of your grade. Note that working as a pair requires a more extensive R&D project to plan (roughly 15 credits per student)
- Methodology assignment (individual, pair or small group forms 50% of your grade.
Evaluation criteria, satisfactory (1-2)
Student is able to:
- use professional concepts in a consistent manner and demonstrate his/her familiarity with the knowledge basis
- report and communicate in a professional manner
- act independently taking into the operating environment
- take responsibility for interaction with customers and/or co-operation partners and for responding to their needs
- describe the significance of his/her actions for successful co-operation
- describe his/her competence in relation to the learning outcomes
Evaluation criteria, good (3-4)
Student is able to:
- critically evaluate information and justify their actions with science-based knowledge
- propose creative solutions at work
- promote professional co-operation and enhance customer and partner relationships
- act in a manner that promotes the team’s entrepreneurial and responsible approach to work
- describe the development of his/her competence in relation to the learning outcomes
Evaluation criteria, excellent (5)
Student is able to:
- analyse the acquired information, draw conclusions and combine theoretical knowledge with experiential knowledge
- evaluate the applicability of produced knowledge, skill or idea to other contexts as well as their impact
- anticipate needs of customers and/or co-operation partners
- evaluate and develop the team’s entrepreneurial and responsible approach to work
- evaluate the possibilities for utilising competence and plan his/her personal development and development of the team