Basic Theory of Corporate Safety, Security and Risk Management (5 cr)
01.12.2022 - 23.05.2023
01.12.2022 - 30.06.2023
Number of ECTS credits allocated
Mode of delivery
Laurea Leppävaara, service
Laurea Virtual Campus
0 - 200
- Laurea täydentävä osaaminen, amk-tutkinto (TOP2), Palvelualat
- Heli Kulomaa
- Timo Ryynänen
- Essi Tammisto
Teacher in charge
- Avoin AMK (Size: 100. Open UAS: 100.)
TOP222SYTäydentävä osaaminen (amk-tutkinto), S22, Palvelualat
- Open UAS
The student is able to:
- define the concepts of corporate safety, security and risk management and their elements as well as their significance to organizations
- define principles and best practices of requirements on corporate safety and security
- use risk management principles and apply risk assessment and management methods in developing safety and security
The online course is conducted online and can be studied independently on your own schedule. There are recommended assignment deadlines on the course that are calculated based on when you start the course. Differing from these deadlines, however, does not have an influence on how you are graded at the end of the course.
The learning platform is Canvas and all communication during the course takes place through it.
The study is open at the Open University of Applied Sciences, CampusOnline, to path students, as well as freely to Laurea's degree students, excluding students in the degree program in Safety, Security and Risk Management (Bachelor of Business Administration).
Learning materials and recommended literature
Study materials are in Canvas.
Alternative completion methods of implementation
According to Laurea's degree rules, all students have the right to demonstrate their skills. The initiative to identify and recognize the acquired competence is taken by the student. Competence is identified and recognized by the teacher in charge of the module or course or another person appointed by the head of the university unit. The evaluation follows the same evaluation criteria and evaluation scale as the Course. See the student intranet for more information.
This study unit is the English language version of the Finnish study unit TO00BS57-3006 Turvallisuusjohtamisen ja riskienhallinnan perusteet. The student can only receive credits for one out of these two study units.
This study unit provides the same knowledge base as the theoretical part of the course HT00BN79 Basics of Corporate Safety, Security and Risk Management. If the student wants to show his / her previously acquired competence, it will take place in the course HT00BN79 Basics of Corporate Safety, Security and Risk Management 10 cr.
The study unit can be completed on your own schedule until June 30, 2023. Registration is open until May 21, 2023.
5 cr = 135 hours
Content and scheduling
The aim is that after completing the study unit you will be able to:
- define the concepts and areas of corporate safety, security and risk management and their significance for the organization
- define the criteria for the security requirements and best practices of organizations and be able to apply them
- define the criteria for the security requirements and best practices of organizations
- utilize the principles of risk management and risk assessment and management methods in the development of safety.
Further information for students
The study unit is open at the Open University of Applied Sciences (100 places), CampusOnline (40 places), path students (20 places), and freely for Laurea degree students, excluding students in the Security and Risk Management degree program (Bachelor of Business Administration) who complete the same content as part of HT00BN79 Basics of risk management 10 cr. Check the suitability of the course for your HOPS with your own tutor.
The requirements for the study are the level of education leading to a bachelor's degree.
The student completes the course regardless of the time and place according to their own schedule.
Evaluation methods and criteria
The assessment of competence is based on the objective descriptions of the curricula and the assessment criteria announced in the Study unit Implementation plan (Laurea's degree rules).
The study unit follows point-based assessment. The course has five small tets and an online exam, all of which must be completed:
Module 1: test, max 10 points
Module 2: test, max 10 points
Module 3: test, max 10 points
Module 4: test, max 10 points
Module 5: test, max 10 points
Online exam: max 50 points
TOTAL 100 points.
You can try each test and online exam twice, (a better result is taken into account). A total of at least 50 points must be obtained from the tests and the online exam to pass the study unit.
Level I of the competence assessment framework for a bachelor's degree student is used in the assessment of the study unit.
PROFESSIONAL DATABASE, INFORMATION SEARCH AND REPORTING
At grade 5, the student is able to:
- use a variety of professional terms
- compare and select appropriate information
- report and communicate professionally
At grade 3, the student is able to:
- use professional terms consistently to explain different work practices and situations
- compile information and make use of its knowledge base
- report as agreed
At grade 1 (H), the student is able to:
- use key professional concepts to explain different work practices and situations
- search for information from different sources
- to report.
Evaluation criteria, fail (0)
Less than 50 points
Evaluation criteria, satisfactory (1-2)
1: 50-59 points
2: 60-69 points
Evaluation criteria, good (3-4)
3: 70-79 points
4: 80-89 points
Evaluation criteria, excellent (5)
5: 90-100 points
The content of study unit Basic Theory of Corporate Safety, Security and Risk Management (5 cr), which is implemented as MOOC (Massive Open Online Course) is partly the same as in study unit HT00BN79 Basics of Corporate Safety, Security and Risk Management (10 cr). By attending this stydy unit you can cover 5 credits of the theoretical studies included in the study unit HT00BN79 Basics of Corporate Safety, Security and Risk Management (10 cr).