20% Face-to-face, 80% Distance learning
1. LEGISLATION required. Only certain applicable sections are used. Access legislation in Finlex. -Constitution of Finland -Employment Contracts Act -Occupational Safety and Health Act -Working Hours Act -Act on Occupational Safety and Health Enforcement and Cooperation on Occupational Safety and Health at Workplace -Act on Co-operation within Undertakings -Occupational Health Care Act -Act on Equality between Women and Men -Non-Discrimination Act -Rescue Act -Workers' Compensation Act -Framework directive on occupational safety and health in the EU (not in Finlex, see EU-OSHA) 2. STANDARDS (can be accessed in SFS Online; sign in via LibGuides) -ISO31000:2018 Risk management -ISO45001:2018 Occupational health and safety management systems -ISO9001:2015 Quality management systems -SFS-EN IEC 31010 Risk assessment techniques 3. LITERATURE -The Centre for Occupational Safety. (2019). Well-being at Work Card - Guidelines for developing. NOTE: will be handed out during course -The Centre for Occupational Safety. (2016). Occupational Safety Card; Occupational safety at a common workplace - towards proactive safety. NOTE: will be handed out during course -More will be included in study unit materials.
This implementation is meant for degree students studying in English and exchange students.
It is also suitable for Open UAS students wishing to study in English.
Finnish implementation is TO00BN71-3004
-This study unit has contact teaching on three separate days.
-In addition, this study unit has preparatory and complementary online teaching and independent studying
-Student has the opportunity to complete the Occupational Safety Card and the Well-being at Work Card during the contact sessions.
-Student groups are allocated working life partners to complete their course assignment (with certain reservations)
All contact studies will take place at Leppävaara campus or elsewhere in the capital region. All online teaching and study unit communication takes place in the Canvas online learning environment, real time online meetings in MS Teams- and Zoom-rooms.
GUIDANCE AND R&D METHODS
Students must complete a learning assignment that requires e.g interviewing, observation and reporting skills in collaboration with the working life. The assignment is scheduled and it also contains guidance by lecturers and the working life partners as well if necessary.
Evaluation is based on study plan goals and evaluation criteria.
The evaluated tasks are:
- Learning assignment in groups. Evaluated Rejected / 1-5. Weight in overall grade 60%
- Exam as individual task. Evaluated Rejected / 1-5. Weight in overall grade 40%
In this study unit the assessing of the competences will be done by using the criteria set for requirement level II.
Students who have failed assignments or examinations required for passing a study unit must supplement or retake their study attainment in a manner and schedule defined by the teacher of the study unit. ... A failed examination or other study attainment can be retaken twice. A failure to attend an actual examination is considered to be one completion attempt. (Laurea degree regulations.)
All staff and students of Laurea are expected to adhere to good scientific practices, which includes appropriate referencing. Familiarise yourself with the practices and, if needed, ask for more information. All study assignments are to be done as individual work unless otherwise instructed. The learning assignment will be checked with the Urkund plagiarization program.
17.08.2021 - 31.12.2021
24.05.2021 - 07.06.2021
20 - 40
Laurea Leppävaara, service
Kaci Bourdache, Hanna Iisakkila Rojas, Timo Ryynänen
Accepting place in study unit requires completing a questionnaire which will be sent sent 11.8. This questionnaire must be completed latest 21.8.
After this, please note that studying begins proper 22.8, online.
Before enrolling to this study unit, you should have adequate competence level of safety, security and risk management, which you can acquire for example by completing study unit Business Continuity 5 credits or Basics of Corporate Safety, Security and Risk Management 10 credits.
Degree Programme in Safety, Security and Risk Management (HRA), Laurea Leppävaara
Recognition of prior studies: if you have completed comparable studies earlier or in another university: be in touch with your head of student affairs.
Demonstration of competence: According to the degree regulations “all students are entitled to demonstrate their competence. The recognition and accreditation of prior competence is initiated by the students themselves. The competence is recognised and accredited by the teacher responsible for the module or study unit or another person designated by the director of the UAS unit. The assessment is carried out according to the same criteria and grading scale as that adopted for the corresponding study unit.” Complete a competence analysis and send it to email@example.com before enrolling or as soon as possible after enrollment. More information here: https://laureauas.sharepoint.com/sites/studentEn_planningstudies/SitePages/Demonstration-of-competence.aspx
Study unit has a learning assignment that is completed in collaboration with a working life partner.
Note: this only has the most important dates for completion of the study unit. All teaching can be found in your Pakki calendar, which automatically updates to MS Outlook and Tuudo.
1. Accepting your place in study unit: questionnaire will be sent 11.8. and must be completed latest 21.8.
2. Mandatory presence if you wish to claim the Occupational Safety Card: 10.9 at 8-12. This session will be held at Rudus Safety Park (Ämmässuonkuja 3, Espoo). More information will be sent in August.
3. Mandatory presence if you wish to claim the Well-being at Work Card: 15.10 at 12:30-15
4. Return of learning assignment: 28.11. Late returns accepted until the second general examination date after this (will be specified)
5. Debrief of learning assignment, every group must be represented: 26.11 at 9-11:30
6. Study unit exam (online)
- Scheduled exam time: week 48
- 1st retake opportunity: week 51
- 2nd retake opportunity: week 2 (of 2022)
The study unit is suitable for exchange students.
Study unit uses materials in English and EU-level legislation and materials.
One credit equals approximately 26.7 hours of work performed by the student; 10 cr = 267 hours.
Distribution of work is estimated to be the following:
-Contact sessions: 20h
-Other sessions online: 10h
-Preparatory and complementary online teaching and independent studying: 118h
-Learning assignment: 120h
Themes worked on during study unit:
-Management of OSH
-Analysis and assessment of the risks at work
-Occupational safety, health and well-being
-Equality and non-discrimination in a workplace
-Flow, quality and productivity of work
-Investigation of accidents
-Psychology of crisis situations, workplace conflicts
Methods worked on and used:
-Risk management process
-Risk evaluation- and assessment methods
-Accident investigation methods
-OSH indicators and measurement
-Reporting- and development methods
-Quality management methods
Issues researched and developed:
-Level of OSH
-Quality of work performance
-Equality and non-discrimination in a workplace
-Safety consciousness and know-how at a workplace
-Organization and management of OSH
Discussed concrete end products:
-Analysis and assessment of the risks at work
-Occupational safety and health policy
-Gender equality plan (appropriate parts regarding themes of study unit)
-Equality plan (appropriate parts regarding themes of study unit)
-Personnel and training plan (appropriate parts regarding themes of study unit)
-Well-being at work development plan
[This field is not used at Laurea.]
To achieve grade 1 (or pass) student must be able to -Use professional concepts in a consistent manner and demonstrate his/her familiarity with the knowledge basis -Report and communicate in a professional manner -Act independently taking into account the operating environment -Take responsibility for interaction with customers and/or co-operation partners and for responding to their needs -Describe the significance of his/her actions for successful co-operation -Describe his/her competence in relation to the learning outcomes
To achieve grade 3 student must be able to -Act in a manner that promotes the team’s entrepreneurial and responsible approach to work -Describe the development of his/her competence in relation to the learning outcomes -Propose creative solutions at work -Promote professional co-operation and enhance customer and partner relationships -Critically evaluate information and justify their actions with science-based knowledge
To achieve grade 5 student must be able to -Evaluate and develop the team’s entrepreneurial and responsible approach to work -Evaluate the possibilities for utilising competence and plan his/her personal development and development of the team -Analyse the acquired information, draw conclusions and combine theoretical knowledge with experiential knowledge -Evaluate the applicability of produced knowledge, skill or idea to other contexts as well as their impact -Anticipate needs of customers and/or co-operation partners