From a Student to a Professional (2 cr)
23.05.2022 - 29.05.2022
01.08.2022 - 31.07.2023
Number of ECTS credits allocated
Mode of delivery
50 % Contact teaching, 50 % Distance learning
Laurea Tikkurila, sote
20 - 30
- Degree Programme in Nursing (SNV), Laurea Tikkurila
- Ilari Ernamo
- Kati Saarinen
Teacher in charge
SNV222SNDegree Programme in Nursing, daytime studies, S22, Tikkurila
The student is able to
- form an understanding of the expertise and competence needed in a registered nurse's work
- apply different study methods and plan the progress of their studies in line with their personal goals
- assess their strengths and development goals from the perspective of studying and their future profession
- assess their need for guidance and support and find support for their studies
- apply the good practices of a functional work community in work and study environments
- intervene in unprofessional and unethical activities in work and study environments
During the course, you are oriented to the content of your studies, the degree structure and plan the progress of your studies. You will also identify your strengths, development areas and your own way of studying. During the course, you will also go through the factors that affect your well-being during your studies.
The course consists of two sections:
The completion of the first part of the course (1 ECTS) begins with a pre-assignment that you will do when the studies begin. The part also includes three group meetings and at least two PSP discussions, which you will prepare yourself for using the instructions provided. During the first part, you will make your study plan, which you will update throughout your studies.
The second part of the course (1 ECTS) consists of an optional section that will be most useful to you in terms of the progress of your studies. Together with your teacher tutor, you plan what kinds of content and entities you should choose. These themes include study skills and methods, internationalism, well-being and coping, identifying employment opportunities in your field of study, and entrepreneurship.
More detailed instructions can be found in the Canvas workspace of the course.
Learning materials and recommended literature
The accompanying material has been compiled with tips in the Canvas workspace of the course.
Group meetings and personal PSP conversations per semester either live, on zoom or by phone as per contract.
Estimate of the distribution of students workload in the course (in all 54h):
- Group meetings 12h
- Pre-assignment, study plan and PSP discussions with preparation 15 h
- Optional section 27 h
Evaluation methods and criteria
The course is evaluated on a scale of approved-failed. Approved performance requires participation in group meetings and PSP discussions, completing assignments and the optional section.