Professional Development in Practice SH00BS82-3004 01.08.2021-31.12.2021 7 credits(STG221SA)+-
Learning outcomes of the course
The student is able to
- follow the values and ethical principles in nursing care and the work community and assess how well these are followed in practice
- work in a collegial and responsible manner as a part of the work community
- make observations on the client’s basic needs, functional capacity, and changes in vital functions
- support the patient's functional capacity diversely and respond to their basic needs
- prepare a care plan and evaluate the care received by the client, taking the client's resources into consideration
- implement the basic test and procedures required monitoring vital signs as part of patient care and update the care plan accordingly
- implement medication treatment via enteral and local routes and injections under supervision
- document data on patient record and report orally on the client's condition and care
- implement aseptic techniques
- apply methods related to patient and occupational safety and data protection in their work
- act appropriately in a dangerous situation
- apply the principles of empowering presence and interactions in nurse-client communications
- assess their activities together with clients and develop their activities taking clients' experience into account
- assume responsibility for their learning during the placement
- analyse the development of their own competence during the placement and actively utilise feedback to support their development
- search for and present research data in a concise manner to support and develop patient care
- communicate their expertise in team and work communities in a convincing manner
Prerequisites and co-requisites
The student has actively participated in the study unit "Medication Treatment and Medication Calculations 1." and has passed the medication calculations prior to the clinical practice placement starts.
Theme: Responding to the patient's basic needs, patient and occupational safety.
LbD assignment during placement: Evidence-based nursing
- Searching for information targeted at a phenomenon or problem in nursing work and formulation of clinical research questions: For example, PICO/PICoa/PCC, mind map or other chosen method.
- Searching and summarising research data
- Feedback from the communication’s teacher.