Course materials will consist of articles and other current and authentic texts. More detailed information about the materials will be provided during the first lesson. Additional reading to brush up and to get aqcuinted with the health care sector: Mustonen, A.,Sippola, H. & Tuononen, N. Hoidetaan suomeksi. Sanoma Pro. 2012 edition: https://laurea.finna.fi/Record/laurus.77137 2014 edition: https://laurea.finna.fi/Record/laurus.84945 Kela, M., Korpela, E.& Lehtinen, P. 2010. Sairaan hyvää suomea. Edita. https://laurea.finna.fi/Record/laurus.72279 Kuparinen, K.& Tapaninen, T. 2008. Hyvin menee! 2. Suomea aikuisille. Otava. https://laurea.finna.fi/Record/laurus.65726 Kuparinen, K.& Tapaninen, T. 2016. Oma suomi 2. Suomea aikuisille. Helsinki: Otava. https://laurea.finna.fi/Record/laurus.89197 Kotisuomessa. A website including both general and vocational materials. https://www.kotisuomessa.fi/web/guest;jsessionid=0C94C0AC92D49A1CE70005C18F7F77D6
- self-assessment and reflection of future needs of language skills
- exploration of short current texts and other sources of information
- short presentations and discussions on current issues of the professional field
- oral exercises
- writing short texts
Participation in lessons is mandatory.
The course assessment consists of three parts:
1. An individual essay about a current media topic. The essay will be evaluated on a scale of 1-5.
2. A presentation of Nursing Cases / Cases of Social Services. The presentation will be evaluated on a scale of 1-5.
3. A word test of the course's vocabulary. The word test will be evaluated on a scale of 1-5.
Note that participation in lessons is mandatory.
01.01.2022 - 31.07.2022
29.11.2021 - 05.12.2021
20 - 40
Laurea Lohja, sote
Having completed the study unit the student is able to
- communicate both orally and in writing in frequent situations on professional field (level B1.1)
- further develop skills and understanding of communication culture in Finland
- seek information and vocabulary of Social Services and Health Care using Finnish sources
After completing the course the student is able to
- understand instructions given in Finnish both in studies and in a professional environment
- ask for clarification and further information, if needed
- understand the core vocabulary concerning the professionals, client groups and current issues in Social Services or Health Care
- explore, find and understand the main points and important details of professional texts, such as news and articles in non-scientific publications
The course starts at level B1.1 (CEFR, Finnish application). For further information please see: https://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/fi/resources/european-language-levels-cefr (available in several languages)
Degree Programme in Social Services (SWF2), Laurea Lohja
The work load for the student is as follows:
- contact lessons and related homework 54 h (2 cr)
- information retrieval, individual essays and composition of the group presentation 81 h (3 cr)