Introduction to Service Design Process and Methods (2 cr)
23.05.2022 - 31.10.2022
01.08.2022 - 30.11.2022
Number of ECTS credits allocated
Mode of delivery
Korkeakouluyksikkö D, Tikkurila, liko
Laurea Virtual Campus
- Complementary competence, master’s studies in English (CYJ2), Generic studies
- Complementary competence, Master’s studies (TYJ), Generic Studies
- Hanna-Kaisa Ellonen
- Päivi Harmoinen
- Open UAS (Size: 100. Open UAS: 100.)
CYJ22KJComplementary competence (master’s studies in English), K22, Generic studies
TYJ22KJTäydentävä osaaminen (yamk-tutkinto), K22, yhteiset opinnot
Student is able to:
- understand the theoretical framework and key concepts of service design
- specify the key steps and methods of a typical design process (according to the Double Diamond model)
Introduction to Service Design Process and Methods (1.8.-30.11.2022) is an online course taking place in the Canvas working space. It begins by presenting the theoretical framework and key concepts and continues by introducing a service design process model (Double Diamond) as well as related methods and tools. Students manage the learning process independently through individual Quizzes.
- you can enroll on this "non-stop" course any time until 31.10.2022. The course is closed on 30.11.2022.
- enrollments will be approved once per week (on Mondays)
- assessments / grades are given once per month (at the end of each month), but if you have urgent needs e.g. related to the completion of your studies, please contact email@example.com
Learning materials and recommended literature
Theoretical framework and key concepts: learning materials will be shared during the course.
Service Design methods & tools:
Stickdorn, M., Lawrence, A. and Hormess, M., Schneider, J. 2018.This is service design doing : applying service design thinking in the real world : a practitioner's handbook.Canada: O'Reilly.
Alternative completion methods of implementation
Co-operation with working life and/or RDI
The course is available during 1.8.-30.11.2022
Course includes various tests to be taken individually at student’s own pace.
2 cr includes 55 hours active work
Content and scheduling
The course begins with the presentation of the theoretical framework and key concepts and is followed by the presentation of the design process, methods, and tools. The aim is to create an understanding of the possibilities and limitations of service design and encourage the student to reflect on the basis of the theoretical framework the use, usability, and outcomes of the various elements.
The contents of the course are organized in various folders, which are available simultaneously. Learning is facilitated with the help of various tools and games such as memory cards, text filling tasks, quizzes which also enable evaluation of the learning outcomes.
Evaluation methods and criteria
Assessment criteria of the individual tasks (Quizzes) and their value regarding the final grade will be published as an integral part of the course material. Scale 1-5.