80% Face-to-face, 20% Distance learning
The literature will be announced in Optima - a selection of books and articles to choose from. Recommended literature includes: - Kaner, S., Lind, L., Toldi, C., Fisk, S. & Berger, D. (2014) Facilitator's guide to participatory decision-making. 3rd ed. San Francisco, CA : Jossey-Bass. - Schwarz, R. (2017) The Skilled Facilitator. A Comprehensive Resouces for Consultants, Facilitators, Coaches, and Trainers. 3rd edition. - Unger, R., Nunnally, B. & Willis, D. (2013) Designing the conversation: techniques for successful facilitation. Berkeley, Calif.: New Riders.
Having completed this study unit the student will be able to:
- explain the principles of facilitation and what is facilitation in different contexts
- identify the role of a facilitator
- classify facilitation competences and tools, and to master their business applications
- develop workshops to be more interactive and productive, and
- develop a basic facilitated workshop process with relevant tools and guidelines.
Evaluation is based on 1) Contact day attendance and activity during exercises, and 2) The quality of the written learning assignment and presentation.
01.08.2019 - 31.12.2019
13.05.2019 - 26.05.2019
12 - 30
Laurea university of applied sciences
The students must have basic knowledge of service design when enrolling to this study unit.
Degree Programme in Service Innovation and Design (HYA2), Laurea Leppävaara
The study unit includes a learning assignment to be carried out in collaboration with a worklife partner. The learning assignment includes planning, organizing, and rerporting a facilitated workshop. Detailed instructions will be published in Optima.
The course consists of four contact days and a learning assignment. The preliminary
contents of the lectures are:
1. Practicalities of the course, introductory lecture about facilitation
(facilitation in different fields, central concepts, discussing students' experiences and
2. Lecture about facilitation, group exercise based on pre-reading articles about facilitation, instructions for the learning assignment
3. Practical facilitation exercises and tools & methods, further instructions for the learning assignment
4. Presentations of the learning assignments, reflection, feedback