Will be provided during the course. Material found in Canvas.
Part 1. Medication treatment theory 3cr / Pamela Jokisalo ja Kirsi Tulus
Part 2. Medication calculations 0,5 cr / Pamela Jokisalo ja Kirsi Tulus
Part 3. Workshops 0,5cr / Pamela Jokisalo ja Kirsi Tulus
Schedule is available in Pakki.
Group divisions will be discussed during the 1st lecture.
01.08.2022 - 31.12.2022
23.05.2022 - 29.05.2022
20 - 30
Laurea Tikkurila, sote
Pamela Jokisalo, Kirsi Tulus
Degree Programme in Nursing (SNV), Laurea Tikkurila
Schedule is provided in Pakki.
1cr = 27 hours of student's work
Part 1. Medication treatment theory 3cr = 81 hours of student's work
- lectures 4 x 4 h + 2 h exam = 18 h
- independent study / online course: 63h
Part 2. Medication calculations 0,5 cr = 13 hours of student's work
- calculations lessons 2 x 2 h + exam 1 h = 5 h
- independent work: 8 h
Part 3. Workshops 0,5cr = 13 hours of student's work
- workshops 4 hours each x 3 = 12 hours of student's work
- independent worktime 1 hour
Core content :
Medication treatment 3 ECTS
- Legislation regulating medication treatment
- Safe medication treatment processes and medication treatment plan
- Aseptic techniques in medication treatment
- The role, tasks and responsibility of nurses in medication treatment
- Forms and routes of medication administration
- Pharmaceutical service
- Pharmaceutical technology
- Basic knowledge of drug allergies and anaphylaxis
- Conversion of units
- calculating percentages
- solid and liquid medicine
- preparation and dilution medicines
Workshop 1: subcutaneous injection (abdominal region and upper arm)
Workshop 2: intramuscular (thigh) and ventrogluteal injection
Workshop 3: dispensing medication
Assessment: Pass/Fail 100% correct required in Medication calculations.