Reason, B., Lövlie, L., Flu,M. 2016. Service Design for Business – A Practical Guide to Optimizing the Customer Experience.Wiley, New Jersey Ebook: https://ebookcentral.proquest.com/lib/laurea/detail.action?docID=4305714# Stickdorn, M., Lawrence, A. and Hormess, M., Schneider, J. 2018.This is service design doing : applying service design thinking in the real world : a practitioner's handbook.Canada: O'Reilly. Ebook: https://laurea.finna.fi/Search/Results?lookfor=this+is+service+design+doing&type=AllFields
The key content of this study unit
- principles of service design process and tools, theory and practice, how a service design concept can be developed for a real company case, either for students' own organization or Kesko Oyj (provided by Laurea)
- 30% of the assignments are individual and 70% for the team (service design project)
- main part of the studies is service design project, divided into 4 development phases, each taking around 2 weeks.
- each phase includes both individual and team tasks, which must be completed by given dates, and which coaches (teachers) evaluate and comment in each phase.
- each team has a dedicated coaching pair (2 teachers)
- there are 5 AC-sessions altogether, one for each development phase, plus final session related to the project outcome evaluation and further development.
- each AC-session includes: introduction to the phase, sharing of team task results and coaching based on need
- project work requires tight co-working in teams, using skype and other virtual communication tools, but also face-to-face activities, e.g. interviewing of potential customers, testing of prototypes / service concept with different stakeholders.
- efficient time management is required.
Individual assignments: Pre-assignment: book reading, Quiz and Blog-writing and other individual tasks by project phases, 30% , scale 1-5
Team assignment (service concept), 70% scale 1-5
Self- and peer evaluation
20.08.2018 - 14.12.2018
14.05.2018 - 14.06.2018
0 - 80
Laurea Tikkurila, liko
Annukka Jussila, Eija Lipasti, Miia Seppänen, Päivi Harmoinen
HLV2 Liiketalouden koulutus, Laurea Tikkurila
Student teams (4 persons per team) will develop a service concept either for their own company / organization or they can choose Kesko Oyj case (provided by Laurea). Students' own company cases must be proposed by 15.8. More information will follow via email.
Kesko Oyj case description will be published in August.
Invitations to Eliademy learning platform will be sent by 8.6.
Pre-assignment instructions will be sent out via email once enrollments are done
Proposals of students' own company/organzation projects cases for this study unit by 15.8.
Return of Pre-assignment: 29.8
Service Design project kick-off on 31.8. at 13.30-16.00, face-to-face contact session at Tikkurila Campus (mandatory participation of all students)
AC-sessions every 2nd week on Wednesday evening at 18-19
Return dates of project tasks:
- Map and Understand: 19.9.
- Forecast and Ideate: 3.10.
- Model and Evaluate: 17.10.
- Conceptualize and Influence: 31.10.
Return of service design concept video presentation 4.11.2018
Sharing of project outcomes and further development plans: 7.11.2018
Return date of service design concept: 14.11.2018
10 ects 270 hours
Study unit consist of the following phases:
Pre-assignment : recommended to start soon after study unit enrollment is confirmed, returned by 29.8.2018
Service Design project kick-off, face-to-face session at Tikkurila campus 31.8. at 13.30-16.00 (mandatory participation)
Map and Understand 5.9..-19.9.
Forecast and Ideate : 20.9.-3.10.
Model and Evaluate: 3.10.-17.10.
Conceptualize and Influence 17.10-14.11. including final presentations and finalization of service design concept
Service Design project kick-off on 31.8.2018 at 13.30-16, at Tikkurila campus (mandatory participation of all students)
Otherwise virtual studies
AC-sessions on Wednesday evening at 18-19, according to separate schedule: 5.9, 19.9, 3.10, 17.10.
Sharing of final project outcomes and further development, AC-session on 7.11.