Reason, B., Lövlie, L., Flu,M. 2016. Service Design for Business – A Practical Guide to Optimizing the Customer Experience.Wiley, New Jersey Ebook: https://ebookcentral.proquest.com/lib/laurea/detail.action?docID=4305714# Stickdorn, M., Lawrence, A. and Hormess, M., Schneider, J. 2018.This is service design doing : applying service design thinking in the real world : a practitioner's handbook.Canada: O'Reilly. Ebook: https://laurea.finna.fi/Search/Results?lookfor=this+is+service+design+doing&type=AllFields
Key content of this study unit
- principles of service design process and tools, theory and practice, how a service design concept can be developed for a real company case, either for students' own organization or given organization (provided by Laurea)
- 30% of the assignments are individual and 70% for the team (service design project)
- main part of the studies is service design project, divided into 4 development phases, each taking around 2 weeks.
- each phase includes both individual and team tasks, which must be completed by given dates, and which coaches (teachers) evaluate and comment in each phase.
- there are webinars and online clinizues related to development phase, plus final session related to the project outcome evaluation and further development. The schedule will be announced later.
- project work requires tight co-working in teams, using skype and other virtual communication tools, but also face-to-face activities, e.g. interviewing of potential customers, testing of prototypes / service concept with different stakeholders.
- efficient time management is required.
Individual assignments: book reading, Quiz and Blog-writing and other individual tasks by project phases, 30% , scale 1-5
Team assignment (service concept), 70% scale 1-5
Self- and peer assessment, instructor assessment
07.01.2019 - 14.06.2019
26.11.2018 - 02.12.2018
0 - 50
Laurea Tikkurila, liko
Annukka Jussila, Eija Lipasti
Changes and finetuning in literature and assessment criteria are possible.
HLV2 Liiketalouden koulutus, Laurea Tikkurila
No options in the course, normal recognition of prior learning and demonstration of competence are applied. If you have prior competence in service design, please, contact the responsible teach as soon as possible.
Student teams (4-5 persons per team) will develop a service concept either for their own company / organization or they can choose an organization provided by the instructors. Students' own company cases must be proposed by 15.2.
Proposals of students' own company/organzation projects cases for this study unit by 15.2.
The study unit opens 1.2. and individual work can be done starting that date. Teamwork will be announced 1st of March.
There are several phases where students turn in their assignments or projects either individually or as teamwork. The detailed schedule will be announced on the learning platform.
10 ects 270 hours
Study unit consists of the following phases:
- Pre-assignment : can be started after the learning workspace is opened 1st of February.
- Service Design project kick-off, online session, teams are confirmed
- Map and Understand
- Forecast and Ideate
- Model and Evaluate
- Conceptualize and Influence (including final presentations and finalization of service design concept )
This is an online study unit.