Professional Development in Practice 2. (10 cr)
01.08.2023 - 31.12.2023
Number of ECTS credits allocated
Mode of delivery
Laurea Tikkurila, sote
20 - 40
- Degree Programme in Nursing (SNV), Laurea Tikkurila
- Pamela Jokisalo
- Emmaculate Tamankag
- Heidi Jokinen
- Kirsi Tulus
Teacher in charge
SNV222SN2Degree Programme in Nursing, daytime studies, S22, Tikkurila, group 2
The student is able to
- apply their knowledge of the most common internal medicine and infectious diseases in nursing
- recognise the health risks of their patients and give early support for those who need it
- use different patient-oriented guidance methods to support clients’ resources in self-care and life-style habits
- utilise the most common treatment and guidance methods used in the treatment of patients with internal medicine and infectious diseases and to safely implement treatment and monitoring
- plan, implement and assess the treatment of a patient's pain
- plan, implement and evaluate the treatment of a chronic wound
- recognise a patient at risk of malnutrition and propose methods of nutrition therapy to improve the patient’s nutritional status
- prepare and guide clients in most common imaging examinations
- justify the use of the most common medications and drug classifications in treating patients with internal medicine and infectious diseases and assess the effectiveness of medication treatment
- safely administer basic vaccines
- prevent and control infections in their working environment, taking the needs of different patient groups into account
- assess the patient care from the patient and occupational safety perspectives and promote patient safety at all stages of the care
- engage in multiprofessional interaction and cooperation in nursing care of patients with internal medicine and infectious diseases
- communicate orally and in writing in different nursing situations in Finnish
Theme: Treatment of patients with internal medicine or infectious diseases, resource-based patient guidance.
LbD assignment during placement: Evidence-based nursing/Searching for information targeted at a phenomenon or problem in nursing work and formulation of clinical research questions:
- For example, PICO/PICoa/PCC, mind map or other chosen method.
- Searching and summarising research data.
Professional Development in Practice II 10 credits
Practice info 3 hours
Reflection after practice 3 hours
Alternative completion methods of implementation
No alternative method to complete this study unit.
Co-operation with working life and/or RDI
Clinical practice II in a internal medicine wards for 7 weeks or Home care as a last resort
Orientation and Reflection are very important.
1cr = 27 hours of student workload
10cr = 270
8 hours for placement assignment
262 hours completed in the units.
Content and scheduling
Placement is 7 weeks, 5 days/ week, 7,5-8hours/ day
Further information for students
The student must pass module II medication calculations before placement
Student must make sure that all needed vaccinations have been received.
Student must have completed module I theory and practice before Module II practice.
Evaluation methods and criteria
All practice placements are evaluated as PASS/FAIL. Grounds for failing a placement are found in Degree practice placement canvas workspace
The student has actively participated in the study unit "Medication Treatment and Medication Calculations 2." and has passed the medication calculations prior to the clinical practice placement starts.