The course material will be articles and other current and authentic texts. Additional reading to brush up and to get aqcuinted to the Health care sector (available in Laurea library): Mustonen, A., Sippola, H. & Tuononen, N. Hoidetaan suomeksi. Sanoma Pro. 2012 & 2014 Kela, M., Korpela, E.& Lehtinen, P. 2010. Sairaan hyvää suomea. Edita. Kuparinen, K.& Tapaninen, T. 2008. Hyvin menee! 2. Suomea aikuisille. Otava. Kuparinen, K.& Tapaninen, T. 2016. Oma suomi 2. Suomea aikuisille. Helsinki: Otava. Kotisuomessa. A website including both general and vocational materials. https://www.kotisuomessa.fi/web/guest;jsessionid=0C94C0AC92D49A1CE70005C18F7F77D6
- self-assessment and reflection of future needs of language skills
- exploration of short current texts and other sources of information
- short presentations and discussions on current issues of the professional field
- oral exercises
- writing short texts
Participation in lessons is mandatory.
The course assessment consists of three parts:
1. A test consisting of reading comprehension. The test will be evaluated on a scale 1-5.
2. An individual essay of one current media topic. Essay will be evaluated: Accepted - Completed/not accepted. Well-prepared and informative essay may upgrade the course grade.
3. A presentation of Nursing Cases and Cases of Social services. The presentation will be evaluated: Accepted - Completed/not accepted. Well-prepared and informative presentation may upgrade the course grade.
Note that participation in lessons is mandatory.
01.08.2020 - 31.12.2020
18.05.2020 - 24.05.2020
20 - 30
Laurea Tikkurila, sote
Marja-Leena Piispanen, Sari Juvonen
Having completed the study unit the student is able to
- communicate both orally and literally in frequent situations on professional field (level B1.1)
- further develop skills and understanding of communication culture in Finland
- seek information and vocabulary of Social Services and Health Care using Finnish sources
After completing the course the student is able to
- understand instructions given in Finnish both in studies and in a professional environment
- ask for clarification and further information, if needed
- understand the core vocabulary concerning the professionals,client groups and current issues in Social services or Health care
- explore, find and understand the main points and important details of professional texts, such as news and articles in non-scientific publications
The course starts at level B1.1 (CEFR, Finnish application). For further information please see: https://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/fi/resources/european-language-levels-cefr (available in several languages)
Complementary competence, bachelor's studies in English (CCC2), Generic Studies
The work load for the student is as follows:
- contact lessons and related homework 54 h (2 cr)
- information retrieval, individual essays and composition of the group presentation 81 h (3 cr)
3.9.-30.11.2020 Tikkurila Campus