Business Processes (10 cr)
22.05.2023 - 28.05.2023
05.09.2023 - 15.12.2023
Number of ECTS credits allocated
Mode of delivery
Laurea Leppävaara, tiko
Laurea Virtual Campus
40 - 90
- Degree Programme in Business Information Technology, Cyber Security (NCA2), Laurea Leppävaara
- Degree Programme in Business Information Technology, Developing Digital Services (NSA2), Laurea Leppävaara
- Lassi Tissari
Teacher in charge
NSA223SADegree Programme in Business Information Technology, Developing Digital Services, virtual studies, S23, Leppävaara
NCA223SADegree Programme in Business Information Technology, Cyber Security, virtual studies, S23, Leppävaara
The student is able to
- recognise the opportunities, operators and networks in the business environment
- define the functions, processes and IT systems of an organization
- define the core and supporting processes of an organization
- apply the concept of value chain and customer driven value creation in process development
- assess the financial and operational performance of logistics as part of the supply chain management
The study unit is based on
- text and video material in Canvas
- quizzes and discussions of the topics addressed
- weekly non-mandatory online sessions in Zoom to reflect and share experiences
- some slightly larger assignments carried along the course to apply the knowledge acquired
- visiting experts
- optionally some other learning experiments like business simulations
Learning materials and recommended literature
The learning material is mainly videos from public sources like YouTube. There is a variety of topics and it is not possible to give a single textbook. Some references are given during the course.
Alternative completion methods of implementation
To recognize your prior learning you need to follow the genaral recognition process. Students with experience are, however, recommended not to try to recognize it to skip the course but join the course and share their experience with others. Some assignments can be waived for experienced students case by case.
Co-operation with working life and/or RDI
Industry experts are invited to talk about their field whenever available and suitable for the course content.
There may even be some short projects with partners depending on their availability but in general this course does not have major teamwork.
The detailed course schedule will be published in Canvas some days prior to the start of the course. Participation in the opening session is highly recommended to get a better overview of the course and the assignments. However, it is not mandatory as typically in campus courses. The sessions are recorded when possible but for potential technical issues this cannot be guaranteed.
Forms of internationality
The course will be offered in English because most of the students are international.
The course requires constant steady participation and progress to avoid overload at the end. Pass criteria is intentionally low but to get the most of the course content, interest in the topics and self-motivation to learn beyond the requirements is critical.
Content and scheduling
The main modules of the course are:
2. Introduction to Business Analysis and Business IT
3. What is Business (strategy, value creation, organization, applications, data etc)?
4. Entrerprise Architecture
5. ITIL and DevOps concepts
6. Business Process Management
7. Supply Chain Management basics
Further information for students
The course is designed and offered for students starting their degree program, or those who have failed the course. earlier. The course is somewhat an introduction to the program, covering business management in a general level but having an eye on IT.
Evaluation methods and criteria
The course assessment is based on points acquired in the quizzes and assignments, and active participation, according to the schedule given in Canvas.
To pass this 10 cr course you need to pass the initial quiz and pass each of the main modules. Each module has a certain weight against the final grade. The module consists of theory (assessed by quizzes) and practise (other assignments including discussions).